Monday, April 8, 2013

Steak and Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Dressing

My family LOVES steak.  I mean - really loves steak.  The boys get so excited when they hear it is on the menu, they start jumping up and down and chant...."steak......steak...".

What's even better?  They eat fresh spinach too!  I found this recipe in a relatively new book of mine: The Doctors Book Of Food Remedies and felt it was worthy of a blog post.

I added the blue cheese crumbles, I am a sucker for filet and blue cheese.  Any lean steak will work well for this dish, we had tenderloin in the freezer so that's what I used.  I modified the recipe slightly, which you can certainly do as well.  I think there is flexibility in what you can add to any salad.   Next time to this one I will include pomegranate seeds (recipe called for it but I didn't have any), sliced green onions, and another crunch - like sugar snap peas.

I hope you give this a try and let me know what you put in your version of this salad!


 
Steak and Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Serves 4

4 tablespoons 100% pomegranate juice
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar 
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for steak
1 teaspoon honey 
12 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
1 cup juice packed mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (not shown in picture)
1/4 cup roasted almonds 
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
Blue cheese crumbles
12 ounces lean steak (I used filet)

Drizzle the steak with olive oil then rub with salt, pepper, and freshly minced garlic.  Repeat on the other side.  Let sit while your grill heats.  Grill until cooked to your preference.

While the steak is cooking, in a small bowl, whisk together juice, vinegar, mustard, oil, and honey. Whisk in the oil as you pour into the bowl.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

In a large serving bowl, combine the spinach, oranges, pomegranate seeds, and almonds.

Once the steak is done to your likeness, remove from grill and let rest for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, add all but about 3 tablespoons of the dressing to the salad, add salt and pepper to taste and toss well.  Slice the steak and add to the top of the salad.  Drizzle with remaining dressing and top with blue cheese crumbles.  Serve immediately.

1 comment: