Sunday, August 11, 2013

Skylanders Birthday Party

For my son's 7th birthday, he wanted to have a Skylanders Party.  Unclear on what this means?  Skylanders is an interactive game where the figurine of each Skylander comes to life through the Portal of Power and the player can then manipulate that character on the screen through various video game systems (we use the Wii, but it can be played on XBOX, Playstation, etc).  It's pretty cool, actually. You can read all about Skylanders at www.skylanders.com.

I did some shopping on Etsy for party supplies - you can read more details here about my "shopping trip".  For the invitations, I found these very cool Skylander cards through DenimGraphics.

 

I also purchased files to create the personalized banner and favor tags from Kid Invitations and Lulu Cole, respectively.



For the cake (and favors!), I was inspired by Amy's Party Ideas blog post on the Skylanders Birthday she styled.  It was a lot easier than I expected to be and even got to have my BFF in town to help me decorate it!  Make sure you check out this blog post for step by step instructions on how to build your own Portal of Power cake!



For the food, I asked my son to help me make the menu based on what the Skylanders eat....so it was pretty random.  Then we took names of various Skylanders and made cards to go along with each item.  We served:  Pop Fizz's PB&J, Warnado's Watermelon, Tree Rex's Tacos (using my Crockpot Chicken Tacos), Prism Break's Pretzels, Cynder's Cinnamon Rolls, Chop Chop's Cheese, Eruptor's Eggs, and Ghost Roaster's Grapes.

Our party colors were geared towards the packaging of all of the Skylanders merchandise - and their logo of course. 











For entertainment, we hired "Tim the Balloon Guy".  We met him a few years ago as he is at the Chick-fil-a Family Fun nights and have hired him for some of our past parties.  He's quite talented - he made lots of Skylanders, bows and arrows, shields, masks, dogs, flowers, and even a Minnie Mouse.  A friend of mine shared a photo of the Skylander Hot Head with me that he took with his iPhone - it was impressive!  I took the other one of a party guest fully ready for battle!


We also played a game that my son came up with - "Pin The Tail On Spyro".  I found an image of Spyro along with the Skylanders logo and did a little work in Photoshop to merge them together and remove his tail.  I had it printed at Office Max on an 18" x 24" piece of paper.  Then I used Photoshop again to just get the image of the tail and printed those on card stock for the kids to use. 



Finally, for the party favors, I made white chocolate Wii remotes using this candy mold.  Once they were slipped into a bag, tied with colorful ribbon and a personalized favor tag attached, they were the perfect parting gift for our guests.



My son and I had a lot of fun planning this party together.  I hope he'll want to continue to plan future parties with me!

12 comments:

  1. Love the Blog looks like your guy had a great party. We have a skylanders party too. Come see us at http://www.specialbirthdaypartyideas.com/skylanders-birthday-party/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks great! It was hard since there aren't any "supplies" really out in the marketplace! Thanks goodness for Etsy! :) Following you on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter now! Thanks for visiting my site!

      Delete
  2. Everything turned out so great!!! What a fun party! I am thrilled I could be a small part of it and that you were inspired....your cake turned out AMAZING! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my site, Amy! And thank YOU for the inspiration! My son absolutely LOVED the Portal of Power cake!

      Delete
  3. Where is the template for the invitation? I'd like to use it for my son's 7th birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I purchased the invitation from this Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/listing/156141761/skylander-birthday-invitation-4x6-blast?ref=shop_home_active

      Thanks so much for stopping by! I have moved over to a new site - you can find me at www.bubblyhostess.com - cheers!

      Delete
  4. Where is the template for the invitation? I'd like to use it for my son's 7th birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is stunning! I'm passed up the type of the astounding.I've perused a lot of articles, this really is one of the greatest ones that I've perused. Carry on providing more articles this way.entertainers and party pros for hire

    ReplyDelete
  6. You there, this is really good post here. Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information. Quality content is what always gets the visitors coming. birthday party characters

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. https://miamisuperhero.com/party-characters/

    ReplyDelete