Thursday, April 11, 2013

Chicken-Apple Sausage Quinoa

Awhile ago a friend of mine made this dish for our family - and I'm glad she did.  The entire family loved it!  I knew I had to get the recipe from her and was pleased to hear that it came from Family Circle magazine.  You know, some of the best recipes come from good, tried and true sources!  I told her that I knew I would be making it again and got the "a-OK" to post on the blog. 

I made the dish again this week and it was once again devoured by my family.  When my little one likes something he chews, nods, and rubs his belly.  He repeated these steps throughout his dinner.   We did tell them that the kale was spinach - they don't know the difference and it got them to eat it. 

This is a pretty healthy dish, full of flavor and very filling.  I hope you'll give this one a try and let me know what you think.


Chicken-Apple Sausage Quinoa
Serves 4
Adapted from Familiy Circle Magazine

1 pound baby kale
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 cup raisins
1 12 ounce package fully cooked chicken-apple sausages (can usually be found in hot dog section of grocery store)
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Salt and Pepper

Bring 2 cups water and 1 tablespoon olive oil to a boil in a medium-size pot.  Stir in quinoa and raisins.  Reduce to a simmer and cover.  Cook 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile, bring another large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.  Add kale and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.  Drain and set aside. 

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan on medium heat.  Add sausages and cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.  Remove sausages to rest.

To the same pan, add remaining tablespoon of olive oil.  Saute onion 3 to 5 minutes or until soft.  Add garlic and kale, saute 3 minutes.  Meanwhile, slice the sausages on the bias; add to pan along with quinoa mixture, almonds, salt, and pepper.  Stir to combine and cook for a couple of minutes until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment