Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Ham and Pineapple One Dish Meal - Crazy. Easy.

I’m always looking for an easy dinner to make for my family, especially for those weeknights that are filled with after school activities.  I ran across this dish during the week of New Year’s Eve and served it to my 3 guys.  All of them LOVED it.   Today was a busy after school activity day, so figured it would be the perfect time to give this another try – once again a success. 

The recipe calls to make these as skewers and then grill them – I am all about that once it warms up outside!  Over the holidays, we didn’t have access to a grill, so I sautéed in a pan – delicious.   I found this on a blog called Goodeness Gracious who pulled it out of a cookbook by the name of “Gooseberry Patch: Meals in Minutes”.  I love it and I will certainly use it time and time again!

We served this alongside whole grain rice – you know – the kind that takes 90 seconds in the microwave from Uncle Ben?  You could certainly add a fresh veggie to round out the meal.  As many of you know, I avoid consuming soy products.  I made one batch with the soy for my family and one smaller batch without – it still tasted great being soy-free!

AND - if you have leftovers?  Guess what - heat them up for breakfast the next day.  



Ham and Pineapple One Dish Meal
Serves 4
Adapted from Gooseberry Patch’s Meals in Minutes

1 ½ pounds ham, cubed
8 ounce can pineapple chunks, reserve juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
½ teaspoon ground ginger

Combine the cubed ham, pineapple chunks, reserved pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, and ground ginger in a large bowl.  Stir to combine.  Cover and marinate for about 2 hours in the refrigerator – stirring occasionally. 

In a large sauté pan, add the ham and pineapple and some of the liquid.  Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.  Add more liquid if desired, just bring to a boil to allow thickening time.  Serve!

Do you have easy; go to dishes for those busy weeknights?  I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment