Sunday, January 4, 2015

Easy, Kid-Friendly Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole

Easy brunch recipes are what every person wants, right?  I know I certainly do!  Especially those that can be prepared the night before then simply popped in the oven the next morning.  This year for our New Year’s Day brunch, I made a very easy ham and cheese breakfast casserole that even my boys enjoyed!  I have a habit of making breakfast casseroles a little too complex by adding more ingredients than they might prefer.  So I wanted to make something to please everyone at the table!

I will admit that I didn’t actually make this on New Year’s Eve – I made a 3 course meal that night and didn’t feel like going back into the kitchen after the chocolate fondue!  After assembling the next morning, I let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before heating in the oven – it still tasted great!




This casserole recipe was adapted from one I found on All Recipes – it was easy enough to make my own and adjust the number of servings.

Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole

Serves 4-6 
Adapted from All Recipes

10 slices of whole wheat bread, cubed
4 oz. cooked ham, cubed
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
¾ cup Swiss cheese, diced
3 eggs
1 ¾ cup milk
Pepper, to taste

Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.  Line the bottom of the dish with half the bread cubes.  Sprinkle with ham, Cheddar cheese, and Swiss cheese, and top with remaining bread.  In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and pepper.   Pour evenly over bread.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.   Bake in oven, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes.  Let stand for a few minutes before serving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment