Saturday, August 31, 2013

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars

I recently received a spiral bound cookbook filled with recipes from my mom’s side of the family.  One of her cousins spent quite a bit of time collecting the recipes, adding old family photos, and even including the nutritional content of each dish.  I am so happy to have this in my possession now, what a great way to relive memories of food I was served as a child and start to make new memories for my boys. 

I wasn’t surprised to see the recipe for my mom’s Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars, I grew up eating these and they are a tried and true favorite.  I was reminded of them earlier this spring and during a visit in May, my mom brought down a batch from Colorado for my family to share.   

Oh, and on the same page as the recipe, is a photo of my maternal grandparents on their wedding day...August 31, 1940, so it's fitting that I post this to my blog today.  The hubby and I share the date with them, but our wedding was just 17 years ago today :)

After receiving the cookbook, it was easy for me to figure out which recipe I wanted to make first.  I made these in an 8x8 pan, but they could also be made in a 9x11 pan which would result in a thinner bar.  

I certainly hope that you will try this recipe and either come back to this post or visit my Facebook page to let me know what you thought of them!



Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars
Can be made in an 8x8” or 9x11” pan

1 cup sugar
½ cup margarine
½ cup super chunk peanut butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 10-oz package of chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips)

Grease baking pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, add sugar, margarine, and peanut butter.  Using an electric mixer, stir together combined.  Add egg and vanilla, beating until smooth.  Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt using a spatula.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Turn into prepared pan and spread out until even.  Bake in 350 degree oven 25-35 minutes or until set.  The smaller the pan, the thicker the bar, and the longer it will take to bake.  Cool; cut into squares.  Enjoy with a large glass of cold milk.  

No comments:

Post a Comment