Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chicken with Tarragon and White Wine

As my family starts to get back into a better routine with summer break recently coming to a close,  I wanted to return to one of my favorite things to do.....crack open my cookbooks and plan weekly meals!  I very much enjoy doing this....Sunday mornings, with my cup of coffee, going through my cookbooks and creating a meal plan for the week along with my grocery list.  Then, I head to the grocery store.  All.....by....myself.  I will do ANYTHING to not take my boys with me grocery shopping!  And I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual!

This week, one of the cookbooks I chose was a newer favorite, "Weeknights With Giada" by Giada De Laurentiis.  The recipe called for both boneless chicken breasts and thighs, I decided to go with just the chicken breasts.  I also cut the breasts lengthwise to speed up the cooking process.  It was just my boys and I, so am always trying to make the most out of my time in the kitchen when there are only three of us!

I served the chicken with a wild rice (thanks to Uncle Ben's genius idea of rice in a microwavable bag!) and grapes.  I almost made sauteed zucchini, but realized I would be the only one eating it so went with a red and green grape medley instead!

The boys enjoyed the meal (no sauce for them, of course!) and I thought it was delicious!  I hope you give it a try!



Chicken with Tarragon and White Wine
Serves 4
Recipe courtesy of Weeknights with Giada by Giada De Laurentiis

1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 (8 oz) boneless and skinless chicken breasts
4 (4 oz) boneless and skinless chicken thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons flour
1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat the oil over high heat.  Season the chicken with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and dust with 2 tablespoons of the flour.  Cook the chicken, turning occasionally until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.  Remove the chicken and set aside on a large plate.

Heat the same pan used for the chicken over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Cook, stirring frequently , for 4 minutes, until softened.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until aromatic.  Increase the heat to high. Add the wine and scrape up the browned bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.  Return the chicken pieces to the pan.  Add 2 cups of the chicken broth and 1/2 cup of the tarragon.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer for 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.  Remove the chicken pieces to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.

In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth and the remaining 2 tablespoons flour until smooth.  Whisk the flour mixture into the simmering cooking juices.  Whisk in the mustard.  Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir in the butter until smooth.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Serve the sauce over the chicken and garnish with the remaining tarragon.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love the flavor of fresh tarragon. I've been meaning to buy Giada's new cookbook, thanks for reminding me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good and Giada's new cookbook is great! Here's another one out of it: http://thebubblyhostess.blogspot.com/search/label/Crispy%20Chicken%20with%20Rosemary%20Lemon%20Salt

      Thanks for visiting my site!

      Delete