Saturday, May 19, 2012

Banana Zucchini Bread

It's been awhile since I've made zucchini bread....I make banana bread all of the time.  A girlfriend of mine was telling me about how her family devours zucchini bread and was in the process of making some herself, so I was inspired to make a loaf as well!  She sent me the recipe she had been using which was from Better Homes and Gardens

I adapted it slightly by swapping out the granulated sugar for brown sugar, adding an additional cup of shredded zucchini (good tip from the girlfriend!), omitting the nuts (my boys can go one way or the other on nuts in the breads - I didn't have any in the pantry, so I didn't use any), and I threw in a banana for good measure. 

I do currently have a multitude of bananas in my freezer that need to be used - I could have probably thrown two in this recipe.  If the bananas start to go brown in fruit bowl, I put them in the freezer then thaw them in the microwave when I make banana bread (or anything that calls for a mashed banana) - they are the perfect consistency!  Good tip from my mom!


Banana Zucchini Bread
Makes 1 Loaf
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

Ingredients:


1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 -2 overly ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease the bottom and sides of an 8x8x2-inch loaf pan.  In a large bowl, add your flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg.  Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. 

To the well, add the egg, brown sugar, zucchini, oil, and bananas.  Stir until just moistened, batter should be lumpy.  Spoon batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the cneter comes clean.  Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan, cool completely on a wire rack.  Wrap and store overnight before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment