Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Prosciutto and Arugula Salad

I sometimes travel to Minneapolis for work and while I am waiting in the airport for my return flight home I always stop at Surdyk’s Flights Wine Market & Bar to grab a bite to eat.  Their menu has just the right amount of choices – I have tried several of them now – and everything has always been delicious.  They also have an extensive wine list and offer flights of wine as well. 

During my last trip to Minneapolis, my menu choice was the Prosciutto Americano Salad – it is described as “la quercia prosciutto with wild arugula, parmigiano reggiano, red onion, and lemon-truffle vinaigrette”.  Each menu item also includes a suggested wine pairing – which I don’t typically follow, but good to know it is there!  This salad was simple and delicious.  I decided to try it at home – with just a few changes.  I opted against the parmigiano reggiano, added sliced artichoke hearts, and went with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some balsamic vinegar for my dressing.

With all of the prosciutto, this can easily serve two as a starter.  Or, cut down on the prosciutto and make it a meal for one. 

You can read more about Surdyk’s history and their shop/restaurant on their website here.  





Prosciutto and Arugula Salad
Serves 2 as a starter
Adapted from the Prosciutto Americano Salad at Surdyk’s Flights Wine Market & Bar

6-8 slices of prosciutto
A couple of good handfuls of arugula (2-3 cups)
¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
¼ cup quartered artichoke hearts that have been cut lengthwise
Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Aged Balsamic Vinegar

Lay the slices of prosciutto across the plate, overlapping slightly.

In a bowl, add the arugula, red onion, and artichoke hearts.   Sprinkle with pepper, to taste and drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar to coat.  With a pair of tongs, mix to combine. 


In the corner of the plate, pile the salad on top of the prosciutto.  Serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment